Saturday, December 3, 2011

Dinner Table Conversation Starters

I seriously can't toot my own horn loud enough about my Family Dinner Conversation Starters Holiday Gift for Parents.

Humble, huh?

But, here's the thing. I always test out my products before I list them and won't list them unless it is truly something I would use in my own classroom or with my own children at home.

We've been using this at our dinner table for a couple of weeks now and I am in love with the positive effect it has had on my family. I have a six year old and two year old twins. Previously we had a nanny at home, but this year the girls are at a Montessori school.

Our days are hectic and it feels like hubby and I are constantly passing through a revolving door. I go to work. He drops off the kids at 2 different locations. He leaves work at 3:00 to pick up the girls. I leave work at 3:10 with our son. He meets me in the parking lot at school and we trade cars. He takes the cool SUV back to his office and I navigate the dorky minivan full of tired kids back to the house where I attempt to cook dinner, monitor homework, referee fights over toys and correct papers.

All at the same time.

Hubby comes home at 5:10. I often go back to school or to class after dinner. Some days my son has sports. Hubby often needs to go back to work after the kids go to be. It's crazy...but, it's also what life is like in most of our students' homes as well.

Dinner is when we are able to sit and connect. For the past few months I've really struggled with the fact that I don't feel connected to all of the details of my kids' day. These cards have made dinner such a special time and I once again feel in tune with what they are doing and who they are doing it with. My son loves picking the card and reading it to the table. We each take turns answering the questions, listening to each other and asking questions that lead to elaboration.

I designed the questions to be open-ended and so that they could be used each and every day. They would also be great to put by the bed and share at bedtime if we aren't able to eat together.

I'm so very excited for my students to make these for their families and I truly hope that each family uses them as we have. I love them so much that I am going to make a few for friends who have children.

GIVEAWAY!!!

I'm giving away FIVE copies of this kit. I'll email the kit to the first four readers who post about this product and include a link to the product either on their blog or on a message board. Simply, leave me a comment with a link to your posting. If you aren't one of the first four to leave a comment with a link, you can win a copy...

I'll draw a winner from the remaining comments on Sunday night (12/3).

The video below shows how easy it will be to put the product together. Click here to purchase: Family Dinner Conversation Starters



Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

22 comments:

  1. I posted about your Dinner Table Conversation Starters.
    http://firstgradedelight.blogspot.com/2011/12/dinner-table-conversation-starters.html

    First Grade Delight
    imgoingfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted about it here
    http://yearn4learning.blogspot.com/2011/12/dinner-table-time-for-family.html

    Denise
    taskcard123@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted it here:
    http://teachinglifeandeverythinginbetween.blogspot.com/2011/12/check-this-out.html

    msob123@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have a blog, but I'd love to win a copy.

    april_bright(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bummer!! I don't have a blog yet!!

    But your idea sounds so awesome!

    Smatadam@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have a blog either. I love your blog and it has been helpful during my first year of teaching. I have a 3rd grade classroom and have used serveral of your lessons and products! They are so much fun and my students have enjoyed every single one! Thank you for providing such wonderful information and lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot to add my email address. ashnor03@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is too cute!! Sure hope I can win a copy! :)
    Happy Teaching!
    Meaghan
    mrskimbrellsclass.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea!

    http://theimportantthingjess.wordpress.com/2011/12/03/dinner-table-conversation-starters/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I posted about it!
    http://teachnthings.blogspot.com/2011/12/neat-resource.html

    adstraus@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bought these on Thursday and totally love them! What a super idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute idea! I don't have a blog and I'm not on facebook....but I follow you! I'd love a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't have a blog either, but would love to win a copy. I have 4 daughters and we do something similar at home...sporadically, when we remember. It is always fun to connect in ways other than 'How was your day?' and the standard 'fine.' I think these would be a wonderful Christmas gift for my kiddos' families!

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  14. I posted about it! I would love to win these - thanks!!!

    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1450989741

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to win. Thank you for sharing!
    Life with Mrs. L

    ReplyDelete
  16. How wonderful is this! here's hoping!....

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think this is a super idea!! I love it...it is on my wishlist at teacherspayteachers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would love to win this great idea!! Your blog is fantastic!!! I look forward to reading your posts!
    ~Lesley
    maris529@frontiernet.net

    ReplyDelete
  19. A great website for literacy resources for all grades! Please check it out. It’s not completely online yet, but will be soon!

    www.litdiet.org

    Youtube channel with how-to videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/balancedliteracydiet/

    Please spread the word!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Did you send out packets to the 5 winners already?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just wondering....Have you emailed the winners yet?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was one of the "winners", but have never received your giveaway Dinner Conversation file:( :( :(

    ReplyDelete