Sunday, November 6, 2011

Up Close & Personal With Our Turkeys


This week we completed our Turkey in Disguise Writing and Craftivities in class.

I typically send it home and the students make them as "family projects," but since I had just finished the Pumpkin Projects I wanted to give the families a break. I'm so glad I did because my friends shined doing them on their own.

I'm talking Move-over-Martha-Stewart-and-Take-Your-Gluegun-With-You-Shined!

Oh my crafty goodness. I was so impressed with their paper-piecing skills.

I always try to design my kits so that they can be used with all developmental levels and abilities. I also try to include a variety of activities to pick from for the written components. My friends enjoyed this project so much that we actually rocked several of the writing projects.

They each used a speech bubble to publish their descriptive writing and also wrote a persuasive piece convincing people to eat something other than turkey. Some elected to write a story with their disguised turkey as the main character. Oh how motivated they are when there is construction paper and glue involved.

I hung some of them on the board in the hall paired with our Favorite Thanksgiving Food projects.

HERE'S HOW IT WENT DOWN IN MY CLASS.

The kit includes a template of the turkey and a template of the naked turkey sans feathers.

You could easily print the first and simply have your students color the turkey's disguise.

I opted to copy them onto brown paper and and provide the students with construction paper to make layered pieces. I instructed them to cut the turkeys out so that the bold black line was showing and to outline their pieces in black marker to "make them pop!"


We've done some paper piecing in the past with the Haunted House for Sale Project and also the paper plates of Thanksgiving Food. They are becoming pros. It's just a bit fun and different.

Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

5 comments:

  1. LOVE it! What a fun idea to combine art and creative writing. Thanks for sharing!

    Carolyn
    http://ebthekitchensink.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this project! We disguised our turkeys today and I just can't wait to see the finished products. We have quite a variety of disguises including a disco ball, Iron Man, and a hippie! Thank you for such fun & crafty inspiration! I'll link back to you when I blog about it and will be sure to post pics.

    Sara
    http://iceteacher.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw I love this project so much! I'm scared I won't be able to squeeze it in this year (new curriculum, very overwhelming). Your students did a fantastic job, those are so creative!
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog and am so excited to get some ideas to use in our homeschooling. Thank you so much for sharing!
    Jenny
    (lotsofwagners.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea! My team used it this week and the kids LOVED it! But most importantly, it got them writing :) Love your blog and all of your ideas!

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...