Thursday, November 3, 2011

Timing Transitions - classroom management series


This post is part of my Classroom Management Series. Click here to read other posts from the series.
As promised, I am continuing with tips for staying on a schedule.

I think you'll all agree that there is simply not enough time in the school day.

Every second counts.

When we make our schedules we don't typically take into account transitions within the classroom room. A schedule may read:

9:00-10:00 Math
10:00-10:45 Reading
10:45-11:00 Word Study

The problem is that you don't magically snap your fingers at 10:00 and suddenly go from math to reading. Without planning and practice, such transitions can get chaotic and will steal valuable teaching time.

The best way I have found to save time is to set clear expectations for transitioning and then using a stopwatch to time them.

I use the timer on my cell phone, but anything digital would work just fine.

I don't use it all the time, but when I do it has a big impact. I signal that it is time to transition and review the procedures. I remind them not to run and to always work as a team. I then start the timer and tell them to transition. When they have successfully transitioned from point A to point B I stop the timer and record the time.

We keep track of their times and strive to beat the best time. If they beat their best time, the class earns a bingo number. If not, we just focus on how we could improve.

A few minutes saved here and there really do add up.



managing a classroom classroom routines classroom procedures best practices classroom management ideas classroom management tips classroom management pictures classroom management strategies effective classroom management plan examples of classroom procedures elementary classroom procedures primary classroom procedures middle school classroom procedures kindergarten classroom procedures first grade classroom procedures sample classroom procedures manual harry wong first days of school rules routines daily classroom routines that really work children printable free freebie second grade third grade fourth grade fifth grade education behavior management clutter free classroom organized classroom tips for organizing a classroom

Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

3 comments:

  1. I love clean up music. My song is about 2 mins and 30 seconds long. The kids have the song internalized and know how long they have to finish. It has worked wonders in my room. I'm not constantly telling them to clean up. I sit quietly in my chair and wait for them to come to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great minds think alike!! Today I started in impromptu transition graph. Our transition from recess to quiet time was taking about 10 min. Today we timed and graphed 4. I am hoping to get it down to 2. This is my very important assemssment/intervention time and I need way more than the 30 min. I have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this and I love the idea of recording the time. I feel like we have such a tight schedule this year particularly...thank you!!! :)
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete