Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Online Timer - classroom management series


This post is part of my Classroom Management Series. Click here to read other posts from the series.

Tick Tock.

Tick Tock.

I had a college professor that was notorious for ending every class by saying, "a teacher's greatest obstacle is the clock." I thought he was a bit nuts. Turns out the man knew what he was talking about.

This week I'm going to share my tips for staying on a schedule.


Using a timer in the classroom is somewhat standard. I used it for years. It kept me on schedule, but I can't say that it helped my students. They would plug along at their assignments and suddenly a beeping noise would signal them to stop.

These days I use an online timer and really feel it helps my friends better manage their time. I feared the visual would be distracting, but it hasn't been a problem. The counting down clock is a great tool for keeping them on task.

We use it for everything from snack to guided reading. I keep it running on my desktop computer since I'm never at the desk. Setting the clock at the start of a lesson is one of the jobs I assign to a student.

Here's the link to the clock I use: Online Egg Timer (I like it in the full screen mode)



managing a classroom classroom routines classroom procedures best practices classroom management ideas classroom management tips classroom management pictures classroom management strategies effective classroom management plan examples of classroom procedures elementary classroom procedures primary classroom procedures middle school classroom procedures kindergarten classroom procedures first grade classroom procedures sample classroom procedures manual harry wong first days of school rules routines daily classroom routines that really work children printable free freebie second grade third grade fourth grade fifth grade education behavior management clutter free classroom organized classroom tips for organizing a classroom

Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

8 comments:

  1. My professors use this in my university classes! It is such a useful tool and I think it would be great in an elementary class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great way to keep everyone moving all day, and not losing that wasted time at times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use this same timer for mad minutes, writing on demand, and daily review. The kids LOVE it. They were only distracted at first (watching the timer count down), but they quickly learned the more they watched, the less time they had to get the work done.

    Jen
    Runde's Room

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I was going to use my cell phone alarm clock for conferences, but this is far superior!

    ReadWriteSing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad others are finding it useful too. I love the visual.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Time is always a teachers greatest obstacle! I also love using a timer! I especially helps your students that can't focus for extended periods of time, since it breaks up their day.

    EmilyK
    4321teach.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. May I also recommend http://ipadstopwatch.com it has a very large display, it's very easy to use, and even works on the iPad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete