Sunday, October 9, 2011

FREEBIE ALERT - Witches' Brew Adjective Activity


Free Printable of this Activity


Yesterday I posted about my Haunted House for Sale Descriptive Writing Project with the promise of a freebie today. And here it is.

Are you familiar with Hap Palmer's Witches' Brew song? It's super-catchy. You know that play-back-in-your-head-all-day kind of catchy. You've been warned. :)


The kids LOVE it...and it makes them dance. They can't help themselves. Ultimately, the "Stir them in my Witches' Brew" line turns into a choreographed class of kids doing the Cabbage Patch. Who doesn't love the Cabbage Patch? But, I digress.

In the event that you don't love the Cabbage Patch (or if you simply don't have access to the actual song) this activity works perfectly fine as a poem as well.

Anyhow...I kick off the Haunted House writing by introducing this little ditty. We then search for the adjectives in the song and add them to our graphic organizers.

We revisit the song and read through the lyrics sans the adjectives which makes them realize how bland it would be.

Together as a class we brainstorm additional thematic adjectives (and have the obligatory "school appropriate thematic adjectives" conversation which keeps them focused on words like "slimy" and "creaky" and avoids words like "bloody").

I create a class-sized chart and they create their own mini chart using the printable included in this kit. They refer to it often and it really helps to make their writing more descriptive.

I hope you all continue to enjoy your long weekends.

And with that I am off to...

wait for it...

the beach!!!

...on Columbus Day Weekend...aka October 9th...because it is going to be 86 sunny degrees here today...in New England! My southern readers might not grasp the awesomeness of this, but I know my northern pals understand my giddiness. Happy Sunday friends!

Click here to download and print this FREE REOURCE!
halloween projects halloween activity halloween activities writing project free printable language arts centers literacy kindergarten first grade second grade third grade fourth grade 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th adjectives worksheet

Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

6 comments:

  1. My second grade teacher played that song (the one and only time I ever heard it) in class about 25 years ago and I STILL remember the experience and the chorus of that song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable but that's no surprise, all of your stuff rocks! I was thinking of heading to the beach too...we have to make the most of this New England heat while it lasts, right?? ;)
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I've been a faithful follower of yours since I discovered your blog. I've implemented many of the ideas you have so generously shared. I can't believe you are a New Englander!! I used to teach in MA when I lived in RI. Now I live in MA and teach in RI. I'm so excited to learn that I live near someone as famous as you! Thank you so much for all that you've shared!
    Dianne @ http://hopelesslydevotedtoteaching.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weather was absolutely gorgeous here in Michigan as well! ♥ and Indian Summer - great holiday ideas:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the free resource. I will be posting about it on my blog. I too enjoyed the long weekend and great weather. I went boating. I live in NY on Long Island.
    Erica Bohrer's First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am starting your Haunted House for Sale project tomorrow with the kids! I know they will love it!! I can't seem to download the awesome poem above...any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...