Sunday, September 25, 2011

Pumpkin Book Project



Each year I have my kiddos transform a pumpkin into a literary character as their October book project. Did you ever notice how easy it is to motivate kids to read and write when anything "Halloweenish"is involved? I've been doing this project for nine years, yet I continue to be amazed when the pumpkins roll in...figuratively, not literally. They get so creative!Because I have used this with Kindergartners, as well as First, Second and Third Graders, I've needed to tweak it several times. I redesigned all of the pages for it today when I updated it for my own class this year.

With my third graders I am going to focus on character traits. However, the kit was designed to be very flexible. I created two different covers to pick from and attach to the packet you send home. I also kept the directions simple and "generic" so that you can either send it home as is or else add your own specific directions to make it your own.The kit has pages that are appropriate for all elementary grade levels. It can be quick and simple or it can be used to help students focus on just about any literacy skill. I plan to have the students write about their pumpkin at home, but included an area to attach a picture of the student with his/her pumpkin once it comes to school.The 28 page kit is available for instant download. You can get it by clicking here.
The kit includes:
*2 cover sheets to create a packet to send home with your students.
*an overview of ideas on how to create the pumpkin characters
*a reading log to complete while reading the selected text
*a story map page
*a blueprint to design the project
*a page for the students to create a supply list
*an explanation of character traits and a list of traits
*pages to identify traits in a text and record evidence
*draft page
*a primary-aged pumpkin shape to complete
*a primary-ruled pumpkin project themed open ended page with space *for a drawing or photo
*an intermediate-ruled pumpkin project themed open ended page with *space for a drawing or photo
*6 pages of sample photos
*planning/pacing calendar and rubric checklist



Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

12 comments:

  1. I have awarded you the "I Heart Your Blog" award! I have always been attracted your blog because I see we have a mutual obsession with being organized! Just wanted to let you know I think your ideas are great and you have been inspiring to me!
    Thanks for all that you do!

    Check out my blog and follow me too :)

    Maria @ charmedinthirdgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. HELP!! I would LOVE to purchase this project, but when I put it into my cart on TpT, it says it is invalid. Please help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having the same problem!! Please help :) This is WAY too cute to pass up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm trying to purchase it from TpT but getting this message: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Cart/Add/PUMPKIN-BOOK-PROJECT-A-CREATIVE-WAY-TO-FOCUS-ON-CHARACTERS

    This looks awesome!
    Denise
    Sunny Days In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought it was just me. It either says it doesn't exist or it is invalid. I would LOVE this prject!!

    kymberlychamblee@wcps.org
    Tales of a Third Grade

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am seeing that the item is not available or invalid too. I would really love to purchase this packet. Thanks!!!

    maris529@frontiernet.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic idea! If I was a "real" teacher already, I'd totally buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry friends. I just reuploaded it and fixed the link. It should be all set now. :) Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jodi, I found your blog last summer and continue to be inspired by you! Love this pumpkin idea, and can't wait to share it with my team tomorrow. I'm giving you The Versatile Blogger Award...thanks for all you do!

    http://mrsrobinsonsclassroomblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just purchased the Pumpkin Book Project kit. I can't wait to see what my students create. I'll also have to try one with my grand-daughter. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a fifth grade teacher and was wondering if you think that your 3rd grade rendition would be a bit too young for them. Many times, especially working with literary themes and strategies, I can make younger grade level ideas work. What do you think? I just love the literary pumpkin idea and would like to get the packet.

    ReplyDelete