Thursday, August 18, 2011

Thursday Folders: For All That "Other Stuff" - classroom management series


This post is part of my Classroom Management Series. Click here to read other posts from the series.

In an attempt to streamline the paperwork that comes home from school, I began using “Thursday Folders” in addition the daily “Communication Folders” (which I plan to post about soon). I use the communication folders to send home corrected work and assessments, my classroom newsletter, permission slips, book orders and homework packets. I use the pages inserted into it to write notes to the parents and they do the same. I use the Thursday folders for everything else. This includes practice work that is not graded, artwork, and fliers that are sent out with all the children (i.e. YMCA schedules, ads for local programs, etc). I find this saves me time from passing them out daily. It helps the parents by not having to deal with unimportant paperwork every single day. It keeps the communication folder uncluttered and makes it last longer.


On Thursdays, I have a student or a parent volunteer place the Thursday Folder into each child’s mailbox. I then have them distribute all of the other papers on top of them. Lastly, the volunteers take the folders out, insert the papers that are on top of the folder into the pocket, and return them to the mailboxes. The students take them home, empty them and return the folder to my Thursday folder bin until the next week.


In the photo above, they are the orange folders. I make them bright so they are hard to lose. I used to send them on Fridays. At the time they were called Friday Folders. However, becoming a parent of a school-aged child made me realize that Friday afternoons translate into "toss the bag aside until Monday morning." So I switched to Thursday and have found that they are returned promptly on Friday mornings.


managing a classroom classroom routines classroom procedures best practices classroom management ideas classroom management tips classroom management pictures classroom management strategies effective classroom management plan examples of classroom procedures elementary classroom procedures primary classroom procedures middle school classroom procedures kindergarten classroom procedures first grade classroom procedures sample classroom procedures manual harry wong first days of school rules routines daily classroom routines that really work children printable free freebie second grade third grade fourth grade fifth grade education behavior management clutter free classroom organized classroom tips for organizing a classroom

Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

6 comments:

  1. We do Thursdays too except we're lucky enough that my school purchases white envelopes that have like a plastic coating for us. It even has a school calendar on the fron and is big enough for all those school papers to go into. It's great! Now if only those papers wouldn't come in 10 minutes before dismissal when we are all ready to go. . . . . . maybe someday :-)

    Pamela
    Rayos de Kinder

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do Tuesday folders at my school and the school provides envelopes just like the ones Pamela described. It's great because since the whole school does it, the parents know exactly when to expect them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea! I will definitely steal, er, borrow this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jodi,
    You are great! Thanks for being such an encourager...Thinking of switching my Friday folders now... :)
    Tunstall's Teaching Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please for Christ sake help this poor boy from Haiti

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm curious to know how you handle homework once it has been turned in? Do you mark it and send it back? I send our Everyday Math homework back, but I am conflicted about our homework packet - reading log, word study practice, etc. I always worry that something important is going to get lost in the deluge. I think your Thursday folder is the answer.

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...