Thursday, August 18, 2011

Student Display Areas - my classroom makeover


I included a picture of my board when I wrote about
Student Work Display Boards during my Setting Up the Classroom Series. However, since I received some requests and questions about the board yesterday after posting my basket labels, I figured I would elaborate on it.

I have a narrow bulletin board along one wall in my classroom. I used solid color cardstock alternated with black and white patternedscrapbook paper to create a checkerboard effect. I ended up overlapping the papers instead of cutting them. Truth be told it was out of laziness as I didn't feel like cutting, but I do like the staggered look.

Next, I attached a black number cutout that I bought in a package at Dollar Tree. I printed my students names in text boxes with bold borders and stapled those on as well. That's about it.

When school starts I plan to take a photo of each of my friends, print them in black and white and attach them to their square with photocorners.

I assign a number to each student and we use those numbers to make things more efficient in class. I use the number to label supplies, pencils, etc. The students write their number in the top right hand corner of all assignments which makes alphabetizing them a quick and simple task that then saves me time recording grades and returning their work to their student mailboxes (since those are also in number order).

This board makes a great resource as we all learn each which number associates with which friend. As the year progresses, I use the space to display student writing. I often make photocopies of their writing on a reduced size setting to fit the space.

Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

3 comments:

  1. I just had to stop by and say I'm slightly addicted to your blog. I'm a new teacher and a new blogger and I've gotten so much inspiration from you! Thank you!!

    Shananicoleteaches.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog too! I have been checking it every day : ) Quick question about numbering students: if you get a new student, do you just add them to the end of the numbered list? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You! I always feel that a classroom should make the teacher feel comfortable as well as the students! I have added table lamps all over my classroom because I know that's what makes me feel relaxed. Needless to say, this is the first year I have started making my classroom more "homey" and my class has been VERY responsive. We have a warm, caring, comfortable classroom environment :) Glad to know I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...