Sunday, August 7, 2011

Seeing Red...or not :)

Giddy does not begin to describe the joy I am feeling over something so silly.

I like things to match.

And when it comes to my classroom, I'm not a fan of the color red.

I acquired the shelf in the picture below from a coworker who had inherited it with her room.

I literally painted it black within 8 minutes of it being in my room.

But...

do you see those chairs?
Ugh!

They make me crazy.

I'm OCD like that.

Well, last week I brought in fabric book covers because I read online that you could use them as chair pockets.

You can't.

They are way too stretchy. But, since I had already bought them all and I am TERRIBLE about doing returns, I played with them a bit. In doing so I found that if I double wrapped the chairback then it transformed the clashing red into a color that matched my room. I decided to do that because I could then refer to the kids by color groups.

That left only the red seats to stare me down and irk me.

And irk me they did.

So you can imagine my joy when me and my Ikea cart stumbled upon this bin of chair cushions.
They were in the "as is" bin because they were made too small for chairs...which makes them oh-so-perfect for my little classroom chairs.

And they just so happen to be the same colors as my room.

And they were only .50 cents each. I'm also excited that my friends will be more comfy this year.

The only problem is that IKEA doesn't give you bags and they took up lots of room.
We made it work. I can't wait to go in tomorrow and attach them to my chairs.

27 comments:

  1. Love the picture...what a cozy ride home they had!! Congrats on your find! :o)
    Angela Just Love Teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture of your van is hysterical!
    I don't like the color red in my classroom either. Can't wait to see the pictures after you attach them to your chairs!
    Andi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am dying of laughter. This sounds like something I would do and I could picture my kids in our car being surrounding by them. I can't wait to see your pics on this!!
    BusyBees

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its a good thing that you don't work for my district. Are colors are red, white and black. Everything is "Go Big Red". The admin constantly gives us Big Red soda and Hot Tomales. That being said...I do love IKEA and those cushions.

    Dana
    myglittergarden

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha!! i'm laughing out this...this is too funny!

    The Techy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just laughed out loud at this! I had to read it to my husband because it is something I would do! {I also hate red because it was my cousins favorite color}

    firstratefirtsgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too funny!! Love it!!
    Robin (Bigbird)
    http://www.firsttoremember.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you explain how you used the book covers on the chairs? I can't picture it for some reason. I love the color red - but not in my room. I also have some offending chairs that I would love to take care of. This might be my answer!
    Tessa
    Spotlight on Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to see the new pictures and that mini-van full of kids and pillow is priceless. What other profession does this? LOL!

    ~Kitty
    The Write Handed Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is precious. Look at how BIG your twins are! They were just babies a minute ago. :o

    Ms. M
    Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are my idol! I can't WAIT to see those cushions in your room and totally get the red thing. I would do anything for an IKEA nearby. I'm dying to see your room!! And that picture is priceless!!!
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  12. So funny! I'm not a fan of red in the classroom either! Love those cushions.. great idea and I would totally do the same thing.

    Maria
    charmedinthirdgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really wish we had an Ikea! I am always seeing such great ideas! Love the cushions!


    ☺Jody

    Camp Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  14. totally awesome!!! Your van picture is priceless. That just sums up teacher in one picture.
    Reagan

    ReplyDelete
  15. I totally understand your ocd about things matching and the color red. I went to a workshop one year and they told us about what each color represents and red was intense and creates excitement so ever since then I have nothing red in my room (I want those kiddos as calm as possible)!
    What I Learned in Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jodi, your picture is priceless! I totally laughed out loud when I saw it...this is something only a teacher would do! Your children are precious by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't wait to see the finished product!

    Amanda
    Frolicking Through First

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG!! I can totally see myself in this post. How funny! Can't wait to see the final product!

    Dianne
    Hopelessly Devoted

    ReplyDelete
  19. That picture of your van is hilarious! I can't wait to see the cushions on the chairs :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Omg, I also hate the color red in my classroom! We have this 3 drawer cart for Science equipment and one of the drawers is red. I almost gave it away but can't spend money for another set of drawers. Love the color of the cushions.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Perhaps I'm the only one who likes red. I have two red tables and chairs and two blue tables and chairs. So...I have to run with it! It works with my western theme. I can't wait to see the chairs.

    Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  22. TOO FUNNY! I laughed out loud about your kids and cushions shot!! Been there, done that too! :o)
    Karen
    Mrs. Stamp's Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE those cushions!!! The colors are perfect!!! Wish they still had them!

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete