Wednesday, August 24, 2011

No Sew Curtains: My Classroom Makeover


I don't sew.

It's as simple as that.

My mother and my sister are able to create wonders with a needle and thread.

I've been known to duct tape the hem on a pair of pants. Lucky for me, I'm tall enough that most pants are already short and don't need hemming.

However, girlfriend here known how to work a stapler and a pair of scissors and that was all that was needed to make me a pair of curtains.
I began with twin flat sheets from Walmart. They are cheap and the colors are plentiful.

I measured the length from the ceiling to where wanted them to fall.


Next, I measured that same distance on the sheet from the already sewn edge and cut it.

A staple here. A staple there. I had me a set of curtains to add charm and reduce glare.

I choose to alternate colors. Actually my class voted on it and they wanted alternating colors. I love it too though.

Because they are not hanging on a rod or sewn in any way they lacked a "finished look."
I grabbed some bulletin board border that was left over and stapled that at the top.

That's it. Easy-peasy!!

Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

6 comments:

  1. You are my hero. I don't sew either and have been looking for a solution. Now to find sheets...I don't shop at Walmart b/c they are on our boycott list. They contributed substantially to our *wonderful* governor who took all that money away from our schools :( Thank you for this tip!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made no sew curtains last year too. I used the left over fabric from my bulletin boards to add a finishing touch. Just bought cheap shower curtains to cover up my ugly closet doors. Love no sew projects 'cause I can't sew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a clever idea! I can't sew either and I wish I could do this In my classroom! Problem is my windows are not like yours :( but awesome idea!
    I'm a new follower and I looove ur blog and ur amazing ideas!
    Maria @ charmedinthirdgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow ingenious. just the way to hang curtains that i was searching for!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! My windows aren't nearly as big in my room, so I've actually used pillowcases! I split them open at the hemline and hot glued a pocket for the shower curtain tension rod to go through. I spruced up the already striped cases with ribbon. They turned out cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also used sheets from Walmart as curtains. I made a small slit at the edge where it is folded over. I slid a rod through there. I cut the bottom off, folded it and used a no-sew glue. They looked great!

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...