Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Listening Look - classroom management series

This post is part of my Classroom Management Series. Click here to read other posts from the series.

Listening Look

At the start of the year we establish a “Listening Look.” This shows that they are focused on the speaker. In my classroom a listening look includes hands clasped together (so as not to be touching/fidgeting with anything), eyes and ears on the person speaking.


I certainly don’t expect the class to be in this position throughout every lesson and conversation, but instead save it for important messages and guests. For example, if the principal came in to tell them something I would say, “Boys and Girls please stop what you are doing and give Ms. ___ a listening look.”


I also use it to signal heightened importance or to redirect them if it is getting a bit chaotic. It's much nicer to say, "I need a listening look" and have a hush fall across the room than to point out that it's too loud...too crazy...too whatever.


The poster at the top was something I purchased during my very first year of teaching. Boyfriend took residence in 2 states, 4 schools and 8 classrooms before being retired last year. We now create an anchor chart and I use a photo of my actual class sporting the listening look.


It's effective. I like being able to say, "You should look like your picture."


Because on that very first day of school, when the Kodak moment takes place, the kiddos are on their bestest behavior in their finest of clothes. Never will a listening look appear more serious or perfect. It sets the bar high. :)



managing a classroom classroom routines classroom procedures best practices classroom management ideas classroom management tips classroom management pictures classroom management strategies effective classroom management plan examples of classroom procedures elementary classroom procedures primary classroom procedures middle school classroom procedures kindergarten classroom procedures first grade classroom procedures sample classroom procedures manual harry wong first days of school rules routines daily classroom routines that really work children printable free freebie second grade third grade fourth grade fifth grade education behavior management clutter free classroom organized classroom tips for organizing a classroom how to get attention how to get a class' attention commanding attention from a class.

Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

5 comments:

  1. I linked up your fabulous clip chart... Thanks for the inspiration!

    Katie
    Queen of the First Grade Jungle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of the taking pictures of their listening looks on the first day!! Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so thankful to you and your blog! You have inspired me to become a more organized teacher. I LOVE the idea of the Listening Look. I will be starting this new routine tomorrow. THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this same poster hanging in my room. And next to it, I post the acronym SLANT. I learned about slant observing in KIPP Charter Schools and have also read about it in Doug Lemov's book- Teach Like a Champion. I think there are different variations on what each letter stands for but in my class it is S = sit up L = Listen
    A = Ask questions N = No talking T= track the speaker. So at the start of a lesson when I am giving directions or I need to refocus a group activity I will say "Show me SLANT in 3...2...1.." I love it, and I LOVE this poster that models it so well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mystery solved! I bought your Student Procedure Manual (which I lurve!!) and I couldn't figure out what 'Listening Look' was! I thought maybe it was the stink eye, as in "I've been listening to you and now I'm giving you THE LOOK."

    Thanks for clarifying!!

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...