Monday, August 15, 2011

Easy-Peasy Bookshelf Project - my classroom makeover


I've s-l-o-w-l-y been making over my classroom.

I started back in the early spring with the goal of transforming it completely for the new school year.

A project here. A project there.

It's getting done.

It all started with the fact that I used to be a crafty person and hadn't had the time or a purpose to get my craft on lately. A classroom makeover was the perfect opportunity to use up some of my supplies and really personalize my classroom with creative details.

In years past I was a Theme Queen. I do love themes. I think part of the reason I did my Classroom Theme Series was because I was having theme-planning withdrawals. In place of a theme, I went with a color combo: lime green and aqua. I used black as a base so that I could change things out relatively easily in the future.

In addition to my daily Classroom Management Series that is kicking off tonight, I plan to share the personal touches I made to the classroom each morning.

Today I want to show you an easy way to transform shelves.

My inherited wooden shelves were really worn and tired looking. There was nothing special about them.
That all changed with a 15-20 minute project (save for drying time). I took a roller and ran it over the sides, top and front of the shelves.

I applied 2 quick coats. Next, I selected scrapbook papers in bright, fun patterns.
And attached them to the back of the shelves with double-sided tape.
I love what a difference it made and how coordinates so well with my room for a cohesive look. If you are doing a theme, this would be an easy way to make an impact because there are so many themed scrapbook pages available. You could even skip the painting step and it would still make a big impact. The finished product houses my chapter books in small teal baskets.
classroom organization organizing a classroom classroom projects classroom library

Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

17 comments:

  1. The shelves look great! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I love it! I think I need to raid my scrapbook paper collection again!

    http://bwolfe-wolfepack.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! I had to pin it! Also, I'm having my very first linky party right now and it's all about easy things that make a big difference! I would love it if you would link up this post!

    Amy @ First Things First

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I love it! I don't have a bookcase in my room, but I will pass this on to my friend who took in a bookcase or two from the piles in the hallways. I am pinning it too!

    Jennifer @ Herding Kats In Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking up! When I (finally) get into my new classroom tomorrow, I'm hoping that there is a bookcase that needs updating! :-)

    Amy @ First Things First

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm new to your site this summer. It is terrific! Thank you for sharing.

    I have a question...Carpet isn't allowed (fire safety). Puzzle pieces are expensive (pack of 4 for $12.99...and need many more). Have you seen any other flooring ideas for the meeting area in a classroom?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh...you are so creative! What a great makeover to that shelving unit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So darn adorable! I did bright green and yellow Bulletin boards, with my focus board being black background adn bright green border! This would be really cute for pulling it altogether!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to try this! I have way too much scrapbook paper waiting to be used. This is perfect! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I love,love, love this:) It looks fabulous! What a great use of spare scrapbooking paper and getting a custom bookcase in your own style! Thanks for sharing your amazing bookcase! I am off thrifting to find an old bookcase to store in the shed, for when I get my own class:)
    Tina
    Good Morning Mrs Rubie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those look amazing! Love it-definitely want to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so totally pinned your shelves! They look awesome!!
    I was going to email you but didn't see it right off?
    Julie
    jlutton74@gmail.com
    Thoughts of a Third Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your bookcases turned out awesome!!! I love that you used scrapbook paper so it can easily be changed. I just painted a few bookshelves and put fabric on the back and it made a world of a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I completely identify with being a crafty person with no time for crafts. You've given me great ideas about bringing my creativeness into my classroom again. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. All of my bookshelves are built-ins so I don't think I'd be able to paint them, but the paper will make a huge difference! Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

    Shawsha (The Art Teacher Lady)

    ReplyDelete