Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Communication Folders - Classroom Management Series

This post is part of my Classroom Management Series. Click here to read other posts from the series.

Working as a team with families is key. It’s important to establish a consistent method of communication for keeping everyone organized. If you do a Google search for “Moose Binders,” you’ll have access to lots of information on communication books. I’ve experimented with several ideas and methods and have found that a pronged pocket folder works best for me.


In my opinion, the binder was too bulky and I didn’t need that much space. I found them awkward to check, cumbersome for the kids, and struggled with where to store them during the day. My teaching partner LOVED them. It really is a matter of personal preference in regards to what you use, but I do think it is important to have some form of communication tool.


  • Decide what type of system will work for you and then figure out where the folders/binders will be stored during the day.

  • Determine how you will check them for notes from home and distribute them at the end of the day. I have the students place them in a pile on my teacher table. I quickly check each folder for notes or dismissal changes. My helper of the day places them into the student mailboxes and let’s me know if any are missing. I check in diretly with those friends to see if the folder was forgotten at home or is in the backpack.


managing a classroom classroom routines classroom procedures best practices classroom management ideas classroom management tips classroom management pictures classroom management strategies effective classroom management plan examples of classroom procedures elementary classroom procedures primary classroom procedures middle school classroom procedures kindergarten classroom procedures first grade classroom procedures sample classroom procedures manual harry wong first days of school rules routines daily classroom routines that really work children printable free freebie second grade third grade fourth grade fifth grade education behavior management clutter free classroom organized classroom tips for organizing a classroom MOOSE binder communication home school communication communication folders

Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog!!!!!!!!!!! Your organization ideas are killer. You speak my language!
    -Rachelle
    whattheteacherwants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love your blog!! Thank you for all the fantastic ideas!!

    Miss J
    smilescrayonsandendlessstories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. For parent communication, I send home a parent notebook every Wednesday. It's midweek and I get to let the parents know how their child is doing. They look for it each week and I also always have proof I have told them something if it comes up!

    ReplyDelete