Friday, July 8, 2011

TEACHING GENRE




I just updated and posted my 43-page Genre Unit. I use this in my classroom at the beginning of each school year. Since a portion of my library is sorted by genre, it is an important skill to teach. I'll be posting about setting up classroom libraries tomorrow so I thought this would be a timely product to feature.

I'll also be uploading my genre labels that I use in my classroom as a Thank You Freebie when I hit 700 followers...only 19 followers to go...WOO HOO! That's so cah-razzzy to me!

POSTERS
Ten 8.5 x 11 inch charts featuring a the name of the genre, a description and images to provide a visual cue using Thistlegirl Designs clipart
TALLY CHARTS
Two tally charts (one to use as a class and one for students to use as individuals). After reading a book, record it using tallies in the appropriate box to track genres.

GENRE BINGO
Students cross off a box after reading a book with the goal of getting 5 boxes in a row, column or diagnoally across. This was deisgned to help encourage your readers to branch out in their selections.
READER RESPONSE SHEETS
Ten pages of response sheets that require students to identify the genre of a book and support it with details from the text.
GENRE GAME & ACTIVITY CARDS
Printable cards designed to be used with the following activities.

NAME THAT GENRE (small group or whole class activity)
Give each student a copy of the genre cards. You may want to select a few at a time. Hold up a book from your classroom library and discuss the features. Instruct the children to hold up the correct card.

GENRE CUBE:
Create a genre cube by attaching the six fiction genre cards onto square boxes or cubes.

GENRE GO FISH:
Print 4 sets of the genre cards. Play the same way as regular Go Fish, however, the students need to ask for a card by describing the genre and the person being asks responds with, "Yes I have (name of genre being described)" or "No, I don't have (name of genre being described)"

GENRE SORT:
Print thumbnails of book covers that are familiar to your class / grade level. Use the genre cards as headers and have the students sort the thumbnail cards into the correct category. Program the answer onto the back to make it self-checking. This activity works great with a pocket chart.
GENRE BOOKMARKS
Printable 2-sided bookmarks.

GENRE MATCH
Use the cards to play Memory/Concentration by matching the genre card to the correct definition card. This also makes an excellent pocket chart activity center.

NAME THAT GENRE
Use the colored genre cards as categories. Have the students sort the description cards into the correct category. To make the activity self-correcting you could write the card numbers on the back of the category cards.

THE GENRE CHALLENGE

FICTION VS NON-FICTION CARDS






Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

8 comments:

  1. I had no idea I wasn't a follower already! I use google reader to keep up with all the wonderful blogs, but sometimes I prefer to use the blogger following thing... At any rate, I love your blog!

    Amy @ First Things First

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHHHH! How do you do it? Your stuff is amazing!!!

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog! How do I get a copy of your genre labels?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would it be alright with you if I linked to this post as part of our Book Whisperer read along? Donalyn Miller talks a lot of teaching genres and I think this might be helpful for a lot of people who are starting out this new school year.
    Beth
    Thinking of Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad I found your website....it looks like there are some fantastic teaching ideas. Can't wait to look through it some more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, what a great web blog. I usually spend hours on the net reading blogs on online card readings. And, I really would like to praise you for writing such a fabulous article. This is really informative and I will for sure refer my friends the same. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...