Monday, July 25, 2011

Science & Social Studies Centers - Setting Up the Classroom Series




{Click to see more of my posts on how to set up a classroom.}  

OK Y'all. I need your help.

As you know, I've been doing a series on how to set up your classroom and have been including all of the typical areas and centers you would find in an elementary classroom.

Well, it seems that science and social studies centers are scarce. It's hard to find resources for either and they typically tend to be combined into one area.

I realized this needs to be a goal of mine this year in my own classroom.

For the past few years, my teaching partner and I have split the responsibility of these content areas. She took on science and I tackled social studies.

If you don't read my other blog...well, you aren't missing much because I've really slacked at blogging there...but, you missed why it wasn't a bad thing that I wasn't the science teacher. You can read about my crayfish experiences there.

Anyhow, she's off to a new school and I'm now teaching science. If you have a fabulous science center or if you know of one feel free to send me a link via email or by leaving a comment and I'll update this page...and thank you profusely.

In the meantime, here are a few ideas to get you started:

SCIENCE CENTERS
  • Set up an area in the classroom that enables students to explore and discover.
  • Use trays to make the materials portable.
  • Rotate the supplies seasonal, thematically or as interest continues.
  • Let the children run the center. Assign a scientist of the week and have them research a science topic they are interested in. Encourage them to gather resources to share with the class and make them available to be explored.
  • Include scientific tools: magnifying glasses, microscopes, etc.
  • Place a bin of science-themed nonfiction literature in the center.
  • The great thing about a science center is that it can be put together on the cheap: look to nature...acorns, leaves, pinecones, shells, soil, seeds, etc.
SOCIAL STUDIES CENTERS
  • Display maps, globes and atlases for exploration.
  • Gather supplies for students to create their own.
  • Create task cards for students to research a topic using materials in the center.
  • Feature a different culture or geographic area each week. Again assign a student to take on this task.

















For more ideas and pictures to help organize and manage your classroom, please check out my book: The Clutter-Free Guide to Classroom Organization and Management by clicking here.
how to set up a classroom classroom design class set up tool classroom set up tool set-up setting up a science center setting up a social studies center science in the classroom social studies in the classroom elementary school science ideas bulletin boards centers kindergarten first grade second grade third grade fourth grade fifth grade 1st grade 2nd grade 3rd grade 4th grade 5th grade pictures pics images photos classroom organization management organized classroom clutter free classroom

Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

1 comment:

  1. Hers are older kids, but still good ideas
    http://sciencenotebooking.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...