Wednesday, July 6, 2011

My Whole Group Meeting Area



I had posted the Whole Group Meeting Area portion of my Setting Up Your Classroom Series earlier today. Here's a sneak peek at my meeting area.

I set it up in the back corner of the room because the shade doubles as a screen for the LCD and document camera and there is a computer that I can use with them.

The ottoman is from a living room set that didn't fit in our new house when we moved. I love it as a "teacher seat" because it is low enough to the ground so that I am not towering over the kids. When I use the easel, it's easy to reach. It's large enough that a student can join me to share their writing. It doubles as a comfortable place for the kids to read and buddy read.

I have a calendar and daily schedule posted on the door to reference. I also included pocket charts, a dry erase board and an easel w/ chart paper (to the right).

Typically, I would suggest avoiding having the group area face windows. However, my windows look out into an open field and aside from the random bunny or squirrel there really is nothing to see out there. Also, the kiddos are low enough to the ground that they can't see out during group time.

MANAGEMENT:
  • I assign seats in the group area.
  • I have students that sit along the edge of the carpet and others who sit in the middle. I refer to them as the "perimeter kids" and the "area kids" and dismiss them from group as such. I found that area and perimeter were a challenging concept to teach and this daily reinforcement has really helped to embed those words into their vocabulary.

Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.


9 comments:

  1. Excellent way to incorporate the vocab! Thanks for sharing!

    Dana
    3rd Grade Gridiron

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of using an ottoman as a teacher chair! Now I'll just have to see if I can get my hands on one! I also love the idea of incorporating the vocabulary words perimeter and area into daily habits!

    Amy
    First Things First

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a low green chair and ottoman that I was going to put in a yard sale this weekend..now I'm having 2nd thoughts =) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Using the ottoman is pure genius! I am always getting out of my chair and having students sit in it to share or to read or ... But by using an ottoman, we can sit together. Hurrah! (and I even have an ottoman in the back of my room that I was going to get rid of.) THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the "area kids" and "perimeter kids"! I am totally stealing that :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What would you suggest using if you don't have a rug?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll be using 'area kids' and 'perimeter kids' !! Excellent idea!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of the "perimeter kids" and the "area kids". I always feel like I have a handful of kiddos that can never seem to get back in the right spot each time we come to the carpet. I will have to give this a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete