Sunday, July 31, 2011

Job Charts - Setting Up the Classroom Series

This post is part of my Setting Up Your Classroom Series.

As we continue to get those room ready for the fall, let's chat about the Classroom Job Board.

Which is also a classroom management topic. Much like my mailboxes, jobs in my classroom have evolved over time. I started with an elaborate system where students received new jobs each day because I was told that the responsibility and sense of community was important.

It is.

But so is your sanity.

I'll skip all the middle stages and tell you about where I am now.

In my classroom everyone has a job. However, they are gainfully employed in that position for a very long time. Students are matched with jobs that they express interest in and that I feel is a good fit for them. They are trained and the job becomes routine for them.

This means the classroom runs very smoothly. Some of the assigned jobs that I have include:
Table Captains
Line Leader
Caboose
Clip Chart Carrier
Mail Carrier
Homework Clerk
Librarians

You know, the usuals.

When I rotated jobs too often my friends would forget to do their job or else wouldn't know exactly what the role involves. The consistency of keeping the same job means that everyone has a special part in helping our room to function. They are ALL responsible for cleaning up the classroom at the end of the day when we play Find It / Fix It. I also have a "helper of the day" and that person does everything else for the day (take notes to the office, erase the board, etc).

When I do change jobs (maybe 2-3 times a year), each student is responsible for training their replacement. I couldn't be more happy about this system.

I do still have a job chart. It just doesn't change very often.

Below are some very cute charts and ideas that you could use no matter if you change jobs annually or daily.
Mrs. Dillard from Suesstastic uses her little friends' smiling faces on her job board. I like how bold and colorful it is.



Callie's job chart had me feeling nostalgic. It reminds me a lot of the rotating sunflower chart I made during my first year of teaching. If you are looking to have the students switch jobs this is a fun option.

I simply adore the wording of this title. "We are Happy to Help!" It's so friendly and upbeat. Ironically, I came across this on pinterest and when I clicked to link I saw that it was from Mrs. Robinson's blog. I started following Heather's blog last summer and it's been fun to watch it grow. Check her out.


Amanda, from One Extra Degree put together a great Freebie to help with jobs in the classroom. Hop on over to her blog to read about how she manages jobs and snag her printables.
For more ideas and pictures to help organize and manage your classroom, please check out my book: The Clutter-Free Guide to Classroom Organization & Management.

hHow to set up a classroom setting up a classroom classroom job boards pictures bulletin boards ideas 1st grade 2nd grade 3rd grade 4th grade 5th grade

11 comments:

  1. I loved that you called your class friends. That's how me and my teammates refer to our kids. It cracks me up when the kids say it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go for pure easy....we have two "ranch hands" who help with anything we need. It keeps it simple.

    But I like how you have them do the job for a long time. I've never thought of that.

    Sheri
    kindergarten-roundup

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, I hear you! Each child in my class has a job for nine weeks, then we train our replacements and swap. Some jobs are as easy as changing the date stamp, making sure all the staplers are full, or turning lights on and off. They love it, and it makes my life easier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the shout-out! : ) When I saw my job chart on Pinterest a couple weeks ago, I have to admit, my heart fluttered a little bit! I actually changed my job chart this summer because I added/changed some jobs to my list and my "We're Happy to Help" chart is kind of unchangeable the way it is. My new one uses a Target pocket chart, and I assure you, it is just as cute! Heehee.

    http://mrsrobinsonsclassroomblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may have commented this on your blog already, but I do the long term jon assignment, too. Last year was the first time I tried it, and I looove it! My students are much more serious about their jobs now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for including me! My correct link is http://www.seusstatic.blogspot.com
    Peace, Mel D
    Oh the Places We’ll Go

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips everyone. Thanks! I have a big colourful sign in my classroom that says 'If not me, who? If not now, when?'. I refer the children to this whenever there is a mess to clean up, or a job to be done. It's great to hear them say it to themselves sometimes, as they pick up a dropped pencil or something (that wasn't even theirs...wow!). I also love the way you refer to your students as 'friends'. Might try it....
    Thanks!
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for including me! This is a fabulous post!

    Amanda
    http://www.oneextradegree.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post!

    Last year we switched jobs every two to three weeks, instead of every week and I noticed how they got very efficient at their jobs! Worked much better and this year I might stretch the time out even longer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the different options you've shared here.
    - Lisa from ateachersbagoftricks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. can anyone tell me where you print your job labels?

    ReplyDelete