Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Group Meeting Areas - Setting Up the Classroom Series


The whole group area is important for developing a sense of community and for delivering instruction in a comfortable, intimate manner. I love doing read aloud and holding class meetings in my whole group area. This needs to be one of the first areas that you establish because it has specific needs.

CONSIDERATIONS:
Try to select your meeting area so that the students are not facing out into the hallway or anywhere else there will be distractions.

Set it up so that there is minimal opportunity for hands to wander. For example, do not have kids sitting up against tubs of math manipulatives.

Define the area with a rug.

Ideally you want to have...
  • enough space to house your entire class
  • a few seating options~not all kids are comfortable or have the trunk support to sit "criss-cross-applesauce" and your little ladies in dresses should have the opportunity to sit in a chair.
  • a comfy place for you to sit
  • a way to define seating so that your friends know where to place their bottoms
  • a focal point for instruction (pocket charts, dry erase board, smartboard, easel or all of the above)
  • enough room for traffic flow when tissues are needed
  • easy access to the supplies you'll need (dry erase markers, read aloud books, etc)


I like the way Booky4First has made the group area the center of the classroom. Also, I really like the use of the linking mats as a "rug." They define the space as a whole, provide smaller spaces for bodies, and cushion the bottoms as well. :)






Um, can I live in this classroom? Gorgeous!!!









I featured Beth's classroom when I did my space theme post. Even if you aren't doing a space theme you need to stop by and see her classroom pics. They are awesome. Her group meeting area certainly does not disappoint either. I like the educational rug and the way she incorporated her meeting area into her classroom library. She also did a great job of facing the meeting area so that there is minimal distraction for the students.






Check out the rain gutter bookshelves. What a great way to customize the space around the smartboard.


how to set up a classroom classroom design class set up tool classroom set up tool set-up setting up an elementary school classroom kindergarten first 1st second 2nd third 3rd 4th fourth 5th fifth arrangement design organization arrange theme cleaning decluttering organized classroom preparing a classroom getting ready for the first day of school preparing a classroom first year teacher classroom organization how to organize a classroom preparing for the first day of school setting up a classroom for the new year


Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

10 comments:

  1. What a great post! I am rearranging my meeting area right now, and these pics are definitely inspiration!

    http://downunderteacher.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving these!!! Will you please just come jump in my purse and come to school with me? ;)

    Thanks for the ideas!!

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving these pictures!! I have been going into my room lately and these pictures are great for giving me some good ideas!!
    BusyBees

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great pictures! Thank you for sharing! I do have one question - I like how the desks are arranged, and I am wondering what you used to put all the magazine holders on - they set so perfectly between the desks and everyone has access to it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures! Do you have any suggestions for pre-schools? I work for our local Head Start and I work with 3,4, & 5 year olds. I feel like our room is SO cluttered shelving to tall to see over (3,4,&5 year olds are very short)BUT we have to have them in the room. I wish I had pictures to show you. If you have any idea's I would greatly appreciate it.

    Thanks,
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your inspiration. I love the pictures.
    Jan in Nebraska

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have to use desks, and no tables were available so with 30 desks clutter free is so hard and every first grader looks forward to their own desk now. Any suggestions, the room was clutter free when I had kinder but now it's first grade and they moved in 30 desks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have to use desks, and no tables were available so with 30 desks clutter free is so hard and every first grader looks forward to their own desk now. Any suggestions, the room was clutter free when I had kinder but now it's first grade and they moved in 30 desks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have to use desks, and no tables were available so with 30 desks clutter free is so hard and every first grader looks forward to their own desk now. Any suggestions, the room was clutter free when I had kinder but now it's first grade and they moved in 30 desks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that classroom are really so nice, beautiful and attractive.The desk and the table are all awesome. The color and the interior of the classroom was also excellent.

    group meeting online

    ReplyDelete