Thursday, July 21, 2011

Computers - Setting Up the Classroom Series



{Click to see more of my posts on how to set up a classroom.} 

There is so much variety in terms of technology in the classroom. Some rooms have 1 computer and others may have access to a class set of laptops. In order to set up a technology center in your room, you'll need to assess what is available to you.

If you have only one computer....

Decide how you would like to use it. Some options include using it as a teacher tool, allowing students to access it as a learning center or utilizing it as a small group presentation area. I've done this and have had the students view the monitor for lessons.

If you have more than one computer...

Consider if you want them to be clustered together or spread apart around the room. Initially, I always kept mine together because it seemed like the thing to do. However, it was hard to manage the noise level. Also, it was too crowded if I had more than one student working on a computer as I often do for interactive games. This year I spread them out around the room and was very happy with that decision.

Things to consider when setting them up:
  • location of electrical outlets
  • location of internet connections
  • ability for kids to access usb ports
  • height of the computers (eye level for the monitor, keyboard easy to access)
  • glare from lights and windows
  • space around the computer for paper/clipboards to complete activities
  • comfortable seating
  • avoid having the screens facing student work areas in a way that will distract other students
  • keep cords out of walking paths
  • do not place cords under rugs as the friction can be a fire hazard
  • use cable ties to keep cords neat

Helpful Links

Here's a great idea to keep cords organized...use bread ties to label the top and bottom of cords.


This display automatically gets 2 thumbs up from me for its use of 3D elements. I love when things pop. Plus, how happy would I be to eat takeout for a month to gather the containers.


What a cute little addition to a computer center. It's a CD flowerpot!



A display like this would look great hanging behind or above classroom computers.




I think these bulletin boards are a great visual reminder of the programs available. I obviously wouldn't fill an entire wall in my classroom (this is a computer lab), but I am now planning to make smaller versions of these on file folders that my kids can use in my classroom or take to our lab.








How adorable is this little project? If you click on the link, there is downloadable templates, but you need publisher to print them.


A color coded keyboard will help little fingers remember the important keys.




I love this little technology puppet that was made to help teach the little ones about the computer.



















For more ideas and pictures to help organize and manage your classroom, please check out my book: The Clutter-Free Guide to Classroom Organization and Management by clicking here.
how to set up a classroom classroom design class set up tool classroom set up tool set-up setting up an elementary school classroom kindergarten first 1st second 2nd third 3rd 4th fourth 5th fifth arrangement design organization arrange theme cleaning decluttering organized classroom preparing a classroom getting ready for the first day of school preparing a classroom first year teacher classroom organization how to organize a classroom preparing for the first day of school setting up a classroom for the new year how to set up a computer center computers in the classroom using computers in the classroom classroom with one computer

Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

8 comments:

  1. I love the 3D keyboard-AWESOME! Also, I saw on the laptop project that someone linked attachments in PDF form under the comments section (a few down from the pic). Thanks for sharing :)

    Life as I know it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These ideas are amazing!!!!!! Ready to recretae them.
    Tania K

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the bulletin board/program idea! That is fantastic and I have some space to fill in the computer lab at school!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice blog.My daughter has one for Kindergartens. Here's her link. www.kindergarten-roundup.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of putting stickers on the keyboard. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work for a computer setup! I went to the source for the file folder template and down loaded it. However when I tried to open it, it wouldn't work. Would you happen to have it saved in a place where you could share? I am not so fortunate as to have so many computers in my room (I have 2), but I do use them in a center for the kiddies and I have to train them. These ideas will really help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was an anonymous post yesterday because I can't seem to comment on "embedded" comments....only the pop up comments. Anybody know why or what I can do about it?? I'm a new blogger and getting frustrated!

    www.kindergarten-roundup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the cd curtain - how are the cd's attached?

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...