Sunday, June 26, 2011

Pirates / Nautical Themed Classrooms

Throughout the month of June, I am going to run a Classroom Theme Series and feature a different popular classroom theme each day. Themes are a great way to tie everything in your classroom together...you just have to be careful not to let them clutter your classroom :) Today we arghhhhhhhhh saying, "Ahoy, Matey!"


My 20 Page Pirate Themed Classroom Kit is now available in my Teachers Pay Teachers Store. It includes all of the following items shown in the sample pictures below, plus more! Click here to view the kit.

BULLETIN BOARD BACKGROUNDS
-crumpled up brown paper bags (to look like treasure maps paper)
-sandpaper (available in large sheets)
-”Creepy Cloth
-torn white fabric to look like a sail
-netting
BULLETIN BOARD BORDERS
-large plastic gems (hotglue onto border)
-beads (hotglue onto border)
-gold coins (hotglue onto border)
3D ELEMENTS TO ADD
-parrots
-hand-held telescopes
-treasure maps

WELCOME BOARD
-Welcome Aboard ____ Grade
-Ahoy, Mateys
-_____ Grade Treasures
-Mr./Mrs. _____’s First Mates
-Anchor’s Away for a Great Year
STUDENT WORK BOARD
-Work We Treasure (w/ treasure chest)
-X marks the Spot
-Shiver Me Timbers, This Work is Great
-Blow Me Down Work
CLASSROOM BULLETIN BOARD IDEAS
-Catch a Good Book
-Set Sail With _____
-Open a Book...Find a Treasure
-Sea of Writers
JOB BOARD IDEAS
The Crew
All Hands on Deck
BEHAVIOR BOARD
Don’t Rock the Boat
GOLD-en Rules
CALENDAR AREA
Catch of the Day
The Captain’s Log
LUNCH MENU/LUNCHBOX BASKET
Pirate Grub
IDEAS
-send your welcome letters out as a “message in a bottle” (use plastic so there is no broken glass)
-create a fort as a reading area
-create a deserted island as a reading area
-use an island themed scene setter or shower curtain
-incorporate the Walt Disney quote, ““There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island.”
-print your classroom rules on a scroll


As always, I love Beth Newingham's Go Big or Go Home approach to taking on a classroom theme.
The next few photos are from her nautical themed classroom.





The next 10 images are from Ms. Callow's classroom.











The following 10 pics are from classrooms in the UK.





































pirate theme classroom pirate themed classroom pirate classroom display pirate classroom decorations bulletin boards pictures of pirate theme classrooms pictures of pirate themed classrooms images of pirate theme classrooms images of pirate themed classrooms photos of pirate theme classrooms photos of pirate themed classrooms

Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you! I downloaded this early this morning! I love it! I'm going to make ABC's to go along with the theme for my word wall! Thanks for all your hard work and inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me want to have a pirate theme! The pictures are great. Maybe next year. I already invested too much time and $ on my safari/jungle theme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting these. I always finish the year with a Pirate theme. I posted about it not so long ago. I have a bulletin board, and some activities my students and I even did, including a free pirate glyph. My students required a bit of help but it would be a fantastic first day activity for older kids. You can find it here:
    http://msk1ell.blogspot.com/2011/05/argh-some-pirate-fun-for-you.html

    Thanks again.
    Ms. M
    Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Blog! I have a pirate classroom theme too!

    www.Fairwindsteaching.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am doing a pirate theme this year! I love all these ideas! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is the heading for the picture that has the kids dressed as sailors?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a question about the picture that has pictures of the kids dressed as sailors. There is a paper beside of each picture. I figure it is some kind of writing the kids had to do, but what kind is it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMGoodness! I just found my bulletin board on Pinterst and it led me here. I thought it was an honor to be pinned...but it's a SUPER honor to be here on your amazing blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the theme! I'm trying to do the pirate theme. Do you know how the teacher did the our classroom is a treasure bulletin board? I click on the source but the thread is closed =( Im dying to know how to make it and if theres a template

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...