Friday, June 3, 2011

Jungle / Safari Themed Classrooms

Throughout the month of June, I am going to run a Classroom Theme Series and feature a different popular classroom theme each day. Themes are a great way to tie everything in your classroom together...you just have to be careful not to let them clutter your classroom :) Today we are going to go on get out our binoculars and get a closer look at safari/jungle/explorer themes!

My 50 Page Jungle-Safari Themed Classroom Kit is now available in my Teachers Pay Teachers Store. It includes all of the following items shown in the sample pictures below, plus more! Click here to view the kit.

Click To Enlarge

This was my classroom at the start of this school year.

I was able to find some borders and bulletin board items locally (Lakeshore, Staples and Dollar Tree) but I made a lot of the stuff myself. The things that I made can be found here: Littlest Learners SAFARI / JUNGLE THEMED CLASSROOM PRINTABLES KIT



I've debated what to call this theme. I think I've decided to just call it a "wild animal" theme. I suppose jungle, safari, rainforest or adventure would also apply. The monkeys are my favorite part.





Reading Corner:
Construct a hut
Use animal print fabric to cover pillows

Add to the classroom
fake plants
stuffed animals

3D Elements
safari hats
binoculars
roll up green paper to make vines
or buy fake vine foliage (dollar stores often carry this)






Bulletin Board Titles/Ideas:

Welcome Boards
Swinging into ____Grade
Welcome to the Jungle
Beware: It's a Jungle in There
Rumble in the Jungle in ___ Grade
Welcome to __ Grrrrrrrrr-ade (with a lion image and tiger print letters)

Student Work
Wildly Wonderful Work
Work to Roar About
No Lion...This is Some Grrrrrrr-eat Work
ssssssss-ensational Work (with snakes)

Student of the Week
King/Queen of the Jungle
Top Cat
Top Banana

Job Chart
Spotted: Classroom Helpers
Hunting for Helpers
Jungle Jobs
Hopping Helpers (tree frogs)

Information Hut (attach rafia to the top of the board)

Birthday Board:
Born to Be Wild

Homework:
An Elephant Never Forgets

Science:
Science is about Exploring (binoculars)
Sssslither into Science (snake)

Any Board:
Wild About ______
Bananas Over _____
____ is Worth Roaring About
Making Tracks in _____








MISC
Use the song "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" as a transition. Play it at the start of the day and let the class know they need to be unpacked and settled before it ends.

The Monkees Theme Song
George of the Jungle Theme Song

Use a large flower pot or coffee can, 6 foot PVC pipe (2 inches wide), plaster of paris, an umbrella, and green and brown paper. Mix plaster of paris according to directions and put into pot until it's almost full. After plaster has set for a few minutes, insert pipe in center of pot. Allow plaster to completely harden. Wrap the pipe in brown paper to resemble a tree trunk. Open the umbrella and put in the top of PVC pipe. Decorate with leaves made from green paper.

Another great way to make trees is to go to a fabric store and get the long cylinder tubes that fabric comes on. Cut it how tall you want your tree. Then get brown paper lunch sacks and cut the ends off. Stuff over the poles and squish down hard. This gives it the bark look. Then make your branches out of rolled and crunched brown butcher paper.

When you form groups in the classroom (cooperative learning/reading/tables) give them animal names.

Create a PRIDE board: Use a lion and let the kids hang up work they are proud.

If you do a communication folder/binder, call it The Jungle Book.

Go on Safari in other classrooms:

Monkey-Themed Classroom Photos: There's lots of stuff here that would be cute with the jungle theme.


Not only is this classroom tres chic, but it gets extra cool bonus point because everything is written in French. Madame McDonald teaches 4th grade in Canada. She did an amazing job of putting her jungle-themed classroom together.

I heart 3D elements. The safari hat is a great touch!
How lucky are her students to have this great spot for reading? Granted my one year of french back in 7th grade didn't exactly render me fluent, but I'm pretty sure that Hutte translates to hut. :)
It's amazing how something as simple as adding a little raffia skirt to a plant can make such a big impact. Looks great!
See more pictures of this creative classroom (view source).



This Jungle-Themed Kindergarten Classroom is a must-see...I heart the vines and leaves!
There are some cute die cuts in this room.




Oh my gosh...this door is a work of art!
It was created using rolls of animal print paper from Oriental Trading (source).

Jungle-Themed Classroom #1
This Kindergarten teacher has created a cozy reading nook. I love the leaves and vines in her room. View more pictures of her classroom (source)

Jungle-Themed Classroom #2

Jungle-Themed Classroom #3

Jungle-Themed Classroom #4 (I love the giraffe rug!)

Mrs. Johnson's Classroom

Mrs. Nielson sent me a message with a link to her classroom photos. I so heart that tree she made!
Pictures of Jungle Themed Classroom Jungle Theme{source for the next 5 photos}





d Classroom Photos Jungle Themed Classroom Ideas Jungle Theme Classroom Jungle Theme Classroom Photos Jungle Theme Classroom Ideas Safari Themed Classroom Safari Themed Classroom Photos Safari Themed Classroom Ideas Safari Theme Classroom Safari Theme Classroom Photos Safari Theme Classroom Ideas Animal Themed Classroom Animal Themed Classroom Photos Animal Themed Classroom Ideas Animal Theme Classroom Animal Theme Classroom Photos Animal Theme Classroom Printables Bulletin Boards Job Chart, Welcome Cards, Thank You Cards, Locker Tags, Cubby Tags

Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

18 comments:

  1. These are WONDERFUL! I also did a jungle/safari themed classroom. My link is here:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1168333295112.2026782.1431342356

    My Ocean/Beach classroom photos are here:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1572800246533.2073087.1431342356

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a jungle theme too! I have a picture of my classroom door here at this link:

    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.540670330779.2050549.61801353#!/photo.php?fbid=540670829779&set=a.540670330779.2050549.61801353&type=1&theater

    Thanks for sharing these wonderful ideas! I will get to implement even MORE jungle/animal print good-ness into my classroom for next year!

    www.wildaboutkindergarten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'm back again: just wanted to let you know that I highlighted your blog and this post and even shared some of my pictures and ideas for next year (my ideas and some of yours that were my favorite)! Check it out!

    http://wildaboutkindergarten.blogspot.com/2011/06/classroom-themes.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I recently purchased you safari theme pack. I was wondering if there was any way to edit the wording? I wanted to change the passes to other types.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG!!! I just saw my class on this blog (jungle theme) !!! WOW!!! thanks for sharing.
    I love your blog. Keep up the good work:)
    From the French teacher from Canada

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does anyone know what material the Reading Hut is made out from? I would love this for my classroom!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all your safari classroom theme ideas! I was curious...what did you use your "Choose Your Own Adventure Board" for in your classroom? Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a jungle themed classroom for second grade. Here is a link to my classroom slideshow http://mrsgoodwinsgrade2class.blogspot.com/2011/08/my-classroom-is-ready-to-go.html

    Check out our class website also. http://www.southadams.k12.in.us/webpages/agoodwin/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've done a jungle-themed classroom for 2 years. Here are some pictures from my first grade room and then my third grade room:
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.618486171773.2161017.18207277&type=3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a few questions about your jungle package. Would you please e-mail me at amy_johnson_03@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I began using a jungle cat theme this year and can't wait to add some of your ideas! On the "Choose Your Own Adventure" board, what were the plastic containers you covered? I'm thinking it might work for a "Bucket Filler" board that I'm going to add next year. Thank you for sharing your wonderful ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Where did you find the safari explorer with the binoculars for the bulletin board that says,"Explore PreK"? I also love the jungle animals on this board. What did you put on the white squares below them? Thanks for sharing!! Neat ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm very curious about your "choose your own adventure" board. What was your plan for the board?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Could you tell me where you found your cute safari explorer guy? The guy with the binnoculars.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was wondering where I could find the cute safari man?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes! Please! Where do you find that safari man for on top of the bulletin board!?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Could you tell me where you found your cute safari explorer guy? share info again..
    Desert Safari

    ReplyDelete
  18. I absolutely love this theme and how creative you can get with it! Thank you so much for the fantastic ideas!

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...