Monday, June 6, 2011

Creating a Plan to Sell Your Clutter

If you are just joining us you'll want to start here.


Preparing to De-Clutter - Day 3:

We're going to continue to prepare to tackle the clutter, by introducing you to some options for turning that clutter into cash. How's that for motivation. The summer is the best time to do that.
I know many teachers start their careers in new classrooms and have to supply a lot of materials. For me it was a bit different. My supervising teacher from my student teaching days was retiring and gave me so much stuff. My first job was in Florida where I took over for a woman going on maternity leave. I started 6 weeks into the school year and she decided soon after having the baby not to return. She told me to keep anything that had her name on it. Then I worked at a Magnet School for math, science and technology where I was asked to pilot a math program and was given a million and one math manipulatives for doing so. At my next job I was hired to replace a retiring teacher who left behind an entire career's worth of "stuff" for me. It was at that point that I realized I had WAY too many things in my classroom and started the process of going Clutter-Free.

I knew I had too much "stuff," but it was all useable. Just not by me.

It seemed like such a waste to throw any of it away, but since I was the newest hire at my small school and most people there had already been teaching for years and years, I didn't even know who to give it away to.

That's when I created my first Ebay listing. Back in the day, Ebay was a great way to clear out clutter. Now, it's not worth the hassle, but there are a lot of other great options.

Today, I want to introduce you to those options so you can create a plan for what you will do with the clutter we clean out of your room.

Ebay: As I mentioned, I personally don't think it's worth the time to sell on Ebay because of all the fees and policy changes. However, if you are used to using it and happy with it then there is certainly a market of teachers shopping on there in the summer.

Ecrater: I love ecrater.com. It is so easy to use and there are no fees involved. Let me repeat that...no fees! I am baffled as to why there are no fees, but it's true and it's legit. I have been selling on there for 4 years and it's been 100% positive. If you have a lot of stuff to get rid of then this is a fantastic option.

Teachers Bargain Basement: This is a yahoo group. You need to join and the transactions are done through email. It seems a bit dated now, but I used this regularly before I started using ecrater. Basically, you post a message telling what you want to sell and people respond via email. You then arrange to have them paypal you or mail you a check and you ship the item. If you are new to selling online, this is a great way to get your feet wet. It's also a nice option for anyone who has just a few items to sell. This is also a free service with no fees.

Craigslist: I love Craigslist. A few weeks ago, my husband decided to clean out the garage...while sitting on the couch. He posted a stroller, our twin's infant seats, a high chair and an excersaucer on a Saturday night. By Sunday afternoon the garage was cleared out and we had a couple hundred dollars in our pockets. It's great for the quick turnaround and lack of fees.

Yard Sale: One of our retiring teachers spent the summer cleaning out her room and then held a garage sale the first weekend of the new school year. She advertised at all of the local schools and had a great turnout.

Teachers Pay Teachers has an option for selling your used items. I have never used it so I can't really say much about it, but it might be worth exploring.

Take some time and investigate the options. You can make lots of money in the summer by selling your unwanted items. If you prefer to just be rid of it without any hassle, we will explore options for donations tomorrow.

Click here to return to the main decluttering/organization page.

Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

5 comments:

  1. Last summer I held a garage sale and advertised in my local newspaper that I would have elementary teacher resources. Holy Cow! I had people knocking on my door at 5 a.m. that morning and all my teacher stuff was gone within 30 minutes. I also went to a garage sale of a retiring teacher and one lady bought the entire garage sale right when it started! She offered the retiring teacher a flat fee for everything! The rest of us at the sale were really disappointed because we could only purchase the items that were in our hands. I was holding a really cool folding storage create so at least I got something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of Ecrater. I'll have to check it out. I sell on Craigslist and am actually going through my stuff right now for a yard sale at the end of the month. I will definitely be advertising it. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the ecarter idea! I set up an account 3rdgradeteach. Have some Froggy books and Fancy Nancy books if you are interested. Thanks for the idea hope to sell some stuff. Only selling books for about a dollar right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have so much stuff from when I started teaching that I don't use anymore. I have tried ebay and half, but I get nothing. I have put things on craigslist, but we have a lot of flakes in So Cal. I will look into ecrater, as I have never heard of it. I would love to get some $ for the things I have purchased over the years. It would be nice to be able to go to Lakeshore and buy more stuff! Thanks for your great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Facebook! I posted a couple of comfy chairs and pillows from my classroom and I had 6 offers in about 5 minutes!!!

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...